Oh my, this one is a goodie! The other day I prepared a green smoothie for breakfast and I wanted to get all of the healthy stuff I had on hand into it. So I checked out my cupboard and fridge, and whisked together a pretty weird combination of different things. BUT it didn’t turn out weird at all — it actually tasted freakin’ fantastic! 😀 I had to recreate it immediately the next day and have since made often, because I love it so much.
So I’m just warning you that the list of ingredients might give you a little head-shake, but you should really give this one a try. In case you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, you can make a more simple version of this green smoothie (see the recipe below). If you go for the full version, these are some of the great health benefits of the smoothie:
- Bananas are rich in fiber and antioxidants and can help moderate the blood sugar.
- 1 cup of oat milk covers 36% of your daily recommended amount of calcium and is a rich source of vitamin A, B, C, D, E and magnesium.
- Coconut water contains electrolytes, which are helpful in maintaining proper fluid balance in your body. It’s a great source of hydration.
- Flaxseed oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which is important to increase the healthy balance of cholesterol in your body.
- Spinach is a great source of iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A and C, all of which are great for healthy skin, hair and bones.
- Maca is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids (20 different kinds — that’s just about all of them!), and antioxidants. Plus, it can help to balance hormones and improve sexual health.
- Spirulina is a great helper to detox heavy metals and also balancing a healthy microflora in our body.
- Plant-based protein powder gives you an extra load of healthy protein and can help to boost your metabolism.
- Probiotics help balance the friendly bacteria in your digestive system.
- Peanut butter is high in potassium, which lowers the risk of high blood pressure, stroke and heart disease. Just make sure you’re using the sugar-free kind.
Because of this load of healthy ingredients and its awesome green color, I just had to name this beauty “The Hulk”. It’s pretty obvious right? 😉
I hope you try it and love it as much as I do. Or maybe you have another idea to add even more goodness? Just leave a note in the comments below.
Have a healthy one!
“The Hulk” Smoothie (vegan)
Makes one big smoothie or two small ones:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 hand full of spinach (or a small frozen cube)
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (sugar-free)
- 1-2 tsp flaxseed oil
- 1/2 tsp spirulina
- 1/2 tsp maca powder
- 1/2 tsp vegan vanilla protein (I love using this one)
- 2g vegan probiotics (I use this one)
Blend all ingredients in a blender and enjoy this green superhero smoothie!